2014-02-14

An Open Letter to Justin Trudeau

Dear Mr. Trudeau,

I'd like to start by saying I want to support you, your party, and your campaign in the coming election.  I'd also like to warn you up front, the following is going to be harsh, but that's part of what being a leader is.  Get used to it.

Stop Waffling.  I attended my first political meeting the other day to see you speak. Your speech was good, I was genuinely inspired.  I respected what you had to say about Internet privacy, and your stance on the charter of rights.  But then someone asked you about your seemingly conflicting stances on the tar sands and positive environmental action.  I wanted to crawl in a hole and die.  I recognise that it's in the politicians job description to fill air with buzz words when asked something you don't have an answer for.  As an environmentalist who's come to terms with the tar sands, *I* could have come up with a better response to those questions.  Saying "I don't have a good answer, but I'm committed to finding one" is far better answer than speaking gibberish for 3 minutes. But that's what politicians have to do right? Well, that leads me to my next point.

I felt initially, that you were bringing something new to the table.  A new wave of politics free of the jargon and usual camera-to-face small talk that sounds good but says nothing.  I thought you'd discovered a new kind of politics where every fifth sentence Wasn't a jab at the opposition.  During your speech about inclusion I thought this meant that you were going to try and work with the conservatives you're inevitably going to have to work with.  So why disrespect them at every opportunity? I know they have bad policies and have underperformed, guess what? We all know that! But that's why I didn't vote for them!  It's not a reason to make jabs so that people cheer.  It's a waste.  A waste of good 'ol Canadian friendliness, a waste of energy, and a waste of every one's time. Yeah the conservatives made fun of you, turn the other devilishly handsome cheek! You can take a hit, so let them jab and you can be the bigger man!

I thought you were a new kind of politician, that maybe, magically your youth had come with unshakable idealism.  I'm disappointed. Be honest, we don't mind if you don't have all the answers. Don't fault others who are in a different position from you, it hurts everyone and makes you look worse than them.  Don't make them enemies even if they declare themselves as such.  Keep the moral high ground.

I'm watching your twitter feed, I'm following the news.  My vote, the vote's of my friends, fellow students, and the votes of my community depend on your attitude.  It's a simple thing.


-Tailor Dresden


3 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting contents.. but the font is too small..

Great data for Storage Units said...

Your topic is good and more people show interest in this kind of article. Keep on posting.

eu4 console commands said...

not everyone in Canada is Catholic, that is why our laws are more secular then those found in the Vatican. & it's been like this since before you were born. why do you not know this?