2011-11-16

On Installing Aircrack-ng in CrunchBang

Baron Here.  Doing a google search "how to install aircrack-ng in crunch bang"?   Long ago I'd have sold my left kidney for someone to have an answer to "How do I install aircrack-ng in crunch bang?".  I have learned many things I would like to share.  I've now updated this post for 2014, as some things did change.  DISCLAIMER: If you break something using this method there is little or nothing I can do to help, also, not my fault. So without further adieu:

You may have noticed that

sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng
Didn't really work like it did in good ol' Ubuntu. I just did this instead:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libnl* 
 wget http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
 tar -zxvf aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
 cd aircrack-ng-1.1
 make
 sudo make install
After doing sudo make install, update like the instructions tell you to.  Beautiful! But oh wait, I'm trying to follow the tutorial and it can't find airmon-ng as a command... did I just install that? Yup! You've got to add /usr/local/sbin to the $PATH environment variable. Easier then it sounds.


sudo nano ~/.profile 

This will open a file, and after

if [ -d "/usr/sbin" ] ; then
    PATH="/usr/sbin:$PATH"
fi

you have to add a section with the same structure except using the file path that actually contains airmon-ng (which usually turns out to be /usr/local/sbin, but if not learn to use the "find" command, because it's useful.)


if [ -d "/usr/local/sbin" ] ; then
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:$PATH"
fi


ctrl+x will give you the option at the bottom to save, do so (assuming you put the code in correctly)

airmon-ng should run properly after a system reboot. Good luck.

Getting the programs to actually work takes some more tinkering.  If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments.

-The Baron

ps. cracking someone else's wireless password is illegal. I don't recommend it.
PPS.  if something isn't working let me now, I'll try to assist




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did ou get injection to work?

Unknown said...

Yeah, injection worked no problem, though it was a really old laptop so signal strength was the only issue.

Anonymous said...

very usefull
it s work for me on eee7014g

Anonymous said...

i thought that injection working depends on drivers not version of aircrack-ng.

i am using broadcom b43 drivers that need to be patched for injection working in general or you can use compat-wireless <3